The CDSS provides a number of tools for accessing numerous types of data. These tools, described below, are grouped into four major categories: HydroBase Online, Groundwater/Well Tools, Map Viewing Tools and Web Services.
The CDSS also provides modeling data sets and related software tools for use in conjunction with data available from Online Tools (see Software Products
and Modeling Data
The CDSS Online Tools were developed for Internet Explorer version 8 or higher. (Make sure that Pop-up blocking is turned off for cdss.state.co.us and www.dwr.state.co.us).
HydroBase is a central database that houses real-time, historic and geographic data related to water resources in Colorado.
HydroBase Online is the web-based access tool used to query water data (stored in HydroBase), such as streamflow, diversions, water rights, and much more. Specific components of HydroBase Online are listed below.
- HydroBase: Download the latest version of the database for offline use with TSTool, StateCU and other tools. Older snapshots can also be found here.
- Administrative Calls: Provides data related to active and historical administrative calls for rivers/streams.
- Climate Station: Provides various climate historical data for specific weather stations, available on either a monthly or daily time step.
- Groundwater (Geophysical Logs): Provides physical characteristic information about wells.
- Groundwater (Water Levels): Provides detailed well information and related groundwater parameters.
- Other Data: Provides Colorado and national agricultural statistics and Colorado livestock statistics.
- Streamflow Stations: Provides historical streamflow data for specific gages, either as monthly volume (acre-feet) or daily flow rate (cubic feet per second). Real-time streamflow data are available through the DWR Website by following the link to Real-Time Surface Water Conditions.
- Structure (Diversion Record) - New Experience Preview
- Structures (Diversion Records): Provides historical daily (cfs) or monthly (acre-feet) diversion data and general water-rights information for structures such as ditches, reservoirs, and wells. Real-time diversion data are available for some structures through the DWR Website by following the link to Real-Time Surface Water Conditions.
- Real-Time Surface Water Conditions: Provides real-time satellite monitoring data from gaging stations maintained by DWR, US Geological Survey, and cooperators. This tool, which is provided and maintained by DWR, can be accessed from the DWR Website.
- Water Rights - Transactions: A Water Right is a property right that is either conditional or absolute and conveys the right to use a particular amount of water, with a specified priority date as confirmed by the water court. The Transaction List contains the court decreed actions that affect the amount and use(s) that can be used by each water right.
- Water Rights - Net Amounts: A Water Right is a property right that is either conditional or absolute and conveys the right to use a particular amount of water, with a specified priority date as confirmed by the water court. The Net Amounts List contains the current status of a water right based on all of its court decreed actions.
These tools provide detailed groundwater information for aquifer characteristics and well permit information.
Map Viewing Tools
- Aquifer Determination Tools: Used to research aquifer characteristics for the Denver or Dakota/Cheyenne aquifers to determine the volume of water at specific locations.
- Well Permit Search: Provides access to well permit information for any well registered with the DWR. This tool, which is provided and maintained by DWR, can be accessed from the DWR Website.
Web-based mapping tools are available to users for viewing relevant water information throughout Colorado.
- Map Viewer: A free, web-based GIS application that provides water feature information in the form of an interactive map of Colorado.
The Web Services tool consists of two components that allow applications to access data without navigating web pages; these components are described below.
- HBGuest Web Service: Provides HydroBase Online data in a standard published format for software applications.
- Surface Water Conditions Web Service: Provides real-time satellite monitoring system (ColoradoWaterSMS) data in a standard published format for software applications.